- since Oct. 2015, Research Fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Brighton.
- Jan. 2014-Sep. 2015, Staff Researcher & Asst. Lecturer, Dept. of Sociology, University of Basel.
- Oct.-Dec. 2013, Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne.
- 2012-2013, Postdoctoral Fellow, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne.
- 2012, Doctorate in Social Science, University of Cologne; thesis “Financialising Poverty: The Transnational Political Economy of Microfinance’s Rise and Crises”.
- Aug. 2010-Feb. 2011, Visiting Researcher, Department of Sociology, Harvard University.
- 2008-2012, Doctoral Researcher, International Max Planck Research School on the Social and Political Constitution of the Economy (IMPRS-SPCE), Cologne.
- 2007-2008, MPhil Development Studies, Darwin College, University of Cambridge.
- 2003-2006, BA Economics with Development Studies, University of Sussex.
- Otto Hahn Medal 2012.
- Deutscher Studienpreis 2013 (German Thesis Award)
- University of Basel–Virginia Tech “Global Perspectives Program” Fellow 2015
I’m a research fellow in the Business, Markets and the State cluster at the Institute of Development Studies in Brighton, UK. As a political economist and sociologist, I’ve worked and published extensively on the political economy of microfinance and financial inclusion, including The Political Economy of Microfinance: Financialising Poverty. I previously researched and taught at the Seminar of Sociology, University of Basel, Switzerland. From 2008 to 2013 I was a doctoral fellow, then postdoc, then research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies in Cologne, Germany, as a member of the Research Group on Institution Building Across Borders. In 2012, I defended my doctoral dissertation in the Social Sciences at the University of Cologne, which was awarded the Otto Hahn Medal 2012 and the German Thesis Award 2013. For the research on microfinance and the financialisation of poverty I did fieldwork in Andhra Pradesh, India, just before the 2010 microfinance crisis. I hold a BA in Economics with Development Studies from Sussex and an MPhil in Development Studies from Cambridge, and in 2010-11 was a visiting researcher in sociology at Harvard University. In summer 2014 I hiked the length of the Alps from Ljubljana to Nice in support of refugee and migrant rights.